Sunday, June 16, 2013

meal: tomato, turkey and asparagus puff pastry with a poached egg

 I love weekends.. mostly because breakfast and brunch are some of my favourite meals to make. I had some extra puffed pastry from a dinner party we had a couple of nights ago and I wanted something crunchy and buttery for breakfast. I bought some lovely cocktail tomatoes from the farmers market and had a craving for a gooey poached egg. With a few other leftover ingredients in my fridge (grilled asparagus, deli turkey and a couple of balls of bocconccini). It's quick, easy, healthy and super tasty. Just layer the ingredients over the puff pastry (making sure to squeeze out any excess water from the cheese) and sprinkle some freshly grated parmesan on top. About 5 minutes before it comes out of the oven, get poaching on your eggs. I poached mine in a vinegar and salt bath for about 3 minutes depending on how gooey (or not) you want your eggs. I've never not poached my eggs without vinegar so not sure how it would turn out without it. When the pastry is golden brown and the cheesy starts to bubble, it's done! Squeeze a little bit of lemon over top and finish up with some fleur de sel and freshly ground pepper. YUM! Perfect way to start off a Sunday.